I ate VERY healthy most of the time, and counted my calories
I went swimming and did 10 laps on Monday night
I worked out at Curves on Tuesday afternoon (the 1st hotel we stayed at charged $7/day to use the gym!?!)
I walked to Curves which was about 2 miles round trip
I had fillet mignon AND dessert (gasp!) at our Anniversary Dinner on Wednesday night
I broke down and paid $10 to use the gym at our 2nd hotel on Thursday afternoon
I went swimming and did 5 laps on Thursday afternoon
I had chicken and pasta at Hard Rock Hotel on Friday night (I lost my mind for SURE on that choice!)
We did a LOT of walking, a little hiking, went kayaking even (good arm and ab workout!)
So, all in all I could have made better choices a couple times but there's a very fine line between losing weight and going on vacation. I still enjoyed myself, ate healthy 95% of the time, and even worked out a number of times. This past vacation definitely proves that I've fully embraced my new lifestyle. It's a balancing act between living your life and making healthy choices. A+ for me!
Brandi's Tips for Vacationing
1. Go to the grocery store upon arrival! I bought a $2.00 styrofoam cooler, cereal, milk, protein water packets, bottled water, apples, and fat free yogurt. My mom actually gave me this idea and not only did it save me a ton of $$$$ I was able to eat healthy foods without eating every meal at a restaurant. ***get your ice from the hotel vending room***
2. I packed protein bars for the plane rides so I wouldn't be tempted to eat the peanuts they handed out
3. Before you leave check to see if your hotel has a gym (find out if they charge!!! grrrr) Also, find out if there are other alternatives, i.e. swimming pool, hiking trails, walk to your destinations, Curves or other gyms in the area
4. Think twice before you accept the free drinks they try to give you while you're playing a slot machine. I did accept a drink on the last day, but it was a bottle of water
5. Pack workout clothes and shoes, that way you have no excuses when you want to work out
6. Buffet's!!!!!!!!!! Our very first meal in the hotel we went with a group of my husband's conference buddies to lunch at the buffet in the hotel. Buffet's are usually lost on me anyway because I'm such a picky eater, but even more so when I'm watching what I eat! How do you get around the temptation to pig out on food from 5 different continents? 2 words... salad bar.
So overall, our trip was a success! The first 4 days in Reno were still fun even though Evan was at his conferences all day and I worked from our hotel room. The last 3 days in Lake Tahoe were magical, such a beautiful place!
(if you click on the picture, you can see it full size)
What healthy tips do you have while you're on vacation?
You did a very good job of keeping up your nutrition plan and the ice chest and cereal was a great idea. I did not do so well and ate much worse than i should have, but i skipped a couple meals which probably saved me from gaining more than i did. It was a vacation so some fun, celebration and relaxation was in order, but you did a great job of not overdoing it and got in some good workouts despite the obstacles thrown at you by the hotels!
ReplyDeleteThanks honey! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteYou look great! Keep it up...
ReplyDelete