Monday, September 26, 2011

My long run yet... :o)

I don't think I've posted my actual training schedule on here yet, but the gist of it is:

Monday: Stretch/Strength
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: Strength Training (used to be 2-3 miles, but I recently changed from running 4x/week to 3x/week)
Thursday: 5 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Cross Training or Rest
Sunday: Long run

I obviously worked up to 5 miles on my Tuesday and Wednesday runs and my long runs started out at 1 mile and increased .5 at a time for a few weeks, then increased 1 mile at a time every other week.

This past week called for 8 miles, but unfortunately I hadn't run 7 miles yet. I had a 9.11K two weekends ago and last weekend we were camping and I was NOT running in the mountains.

So, I set out with the goal of running 7 miles (longest run yet, of course) but about 5 minutes into my run I realized I'd made a wrong turn right away. I quickly started making some mental calculations in my head and decided that my run could still be salvaged. If I had gone the way I was supposed to go it would have added about a mile on to my run so to compensate I figured I could run about a mile further than I was originally going to. Give or take a little.

Oh, and something different on this run... I used my camelback for the 1st time. I knew that as I got up there in miles that I would need to start using it, I always figured I'd start around the halfway mark (6-7 miles). It was a little awkward at first, and I felt like a complete and total DORK before I left the house but after I started running I noticed it less and less. And let me tell you... WOW! I think it make a huge difference in my energy level. I always try to drink about 32 ounces of water before I run but I have never drank anything during my runs even though it's usually pretty hot out. But taking a sip of water every so often definitely kept me hydrated and gave me amazing energy during my entire run.

I will definitely be using my camelback from now on though because this past weekend was the best run of my life! And I ran 7.5 miles! My knees started getting sore towards the end but nothing I couldn't push out of my mind. At one point I even forgot where I was, I was so caught up in my steady pace and my music that I literally started daydreaming for a bit.

My only goal in training and running has been to not walk. I run at a pace, slow enough for me to be able to run the entire thing. I am not overly concerned with time as long as I finish and don't walk at all. So far so good!

I am still on cloud 9 from my run. And the best part? I KNOW I can run 8 miles this upcoming Sunday, since I just ran 7.5 and felt great! And and even better part?? I only have a measly 5 more miles to go on top of that to reach 13 miles and I run 5 miles twice a week as it is!!

I am getting super excited for my half marathon in December!!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're getting more and more excited. You're definitely doing great with your runs. Getting 5 miles twice a week and almost to 8 miles! Over the next 2 months you'll solidify your training and get a little faster and you'll be good to go for your race. I'm excited to cheer you on at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!!
    It is funny because on my last long run, I realized that there was no water or anything, and I was starting to run long enough that water would be a good idea (most people drink water during half marathons...). And I started to wonder about using a camelback. But, it is definitely a lot cooler and wetter here than in Vegas.

    ReplyDelete