Monday, April 27, 2009

I swirl, do U-Swirl?

1 word... PINKBERRY! If have been lucky enough to have visited a Pinkberry then you know that it's the most delicious frozen yogurt ever created. No, I am not exaggerating either. These frozen yogurt shops started popping up all over LA and I always refused to go there initially because I assumed they were just the latest LA trend. Eventually I gave in, and I can honestly say that I now CRAVE this frozen yogurt. It's not like any fro-yo I had ever had before.

It's not like ice cream, it's not even like TCBY frozen yogurt, those are both very sweet tasting. Pinkberry has a distinct and very tart taste. It tastes like plain yogurt and will even make your lips pucker from the tartness. The tartness is what makes it unique as well as the fresh fruit toppings that you can sprinkle over the top. My favorite? Strawberries.

Why in the world am I going on and on about frozen yogurt on a fitness and weight loss blog you ask? Not only is it delicious, it's also very healthy for you, that's why!

1. Healthy
2. Nonfat
3. Packed with live and active cultures to help regulate digestion (containes active live cultures: s. thermophilus, l. bulgaricus, l. acidophilus)
4. Packed with calcium and protein
5. 1/2 cup (4 fl. ounces) is only 100 calories!
6. Fresh fruit toppings including kiwi, raspberries, pineapple, strawberries, bananna, mango, and blueberries

You can imagine my sadness when we moved to Las Vegas and I realized that there were no Pinkberry's here. You can also imagine my husbands embarressment when I grilled the Pinkberry cashier by asking him when they were opening one in Las Vegas, and why they hadn't already. True story.

You might now be wondering why I am telling you about this at all if you live in Vegas and you can't even run out tonight and get one? Well, my friend, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... HELLO U-SWIRL!

I saw a commercial for U-Swirl a couple weeks ago and the decor on the commercial looked a lot like Pinkberry's decor (modern, new age, funky, awesome). I sent my husband about 8 text messages the moment I realized there was a Pinkberry knock off in vegas finally and insisted that we had to find it soon.

That's just what we did on Sunday night for dinner. We went on a hunt for U-Swirl frozen yogurt and to our luck it's realtively close to our house! Buffalo and Washington - if you're familar with the Summerlin area. The taste was JUST like I remembered, however they have a lot more flavors. Pinkberry only has 3 flavors to choose from (although I'm not sure why anyone would like anything besides the tart?) My husband is not a fan of the tart so he lucked out and was able to mix 4 flavors together (sugar free chocolate, regular chocolate, cake batter, and chocolate chip cookie dough)

They weigh your frozen yogurt and charge you based on the total weight, including toppings. The store was very clean and friendly, and they have a really nice patio with umbrella's so you can enjoy your frozen yogurt outside.

If you live in LA... RUN, don't walk, to your nearest Pinkberry.

If you live in LV... RUN, don't walk, to your nearest U-Swirl.

2 comments:

  1. So, who do I need you to talk to to get one in northwest Indiana?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will see what I can do.

    In the meantime, you will need to add Pinkberry to your list when you visit LA. Land at LAX, In-N-Out, Pinkberry.

    ReplyDelete