Thursday, June 11, 2009

Week 16 and Vitamins

Week 16 has come and gone. Did you know that a lot can happen in 16 weeks? A student can finish one semester of college in 16 weeks. A pregnant woman is already in her second trimester and can usually start to feel her little one moving by 16 weeks. In 16 weeks the USC Trojans can finish one football season. And apparently, I can lose 47.3 pounds in 16 weeks!

At this point in my journey I am so close to having lost 50 pounds, that I can taste it (pun or no pun, you decide). I will definitely be there on my Week 18 post, but until then I will share my numbers from the past two weeks.





I had a very good 2 weeks and I averaged almost 3 pounds of weight loss per week. I decreased my body fat by almost 1% and increased my muscle by almost 1%. Most importantly I lowered my BMI another point, bringing my total lost BMI points to 8. Overall I am pretty satisfied and I am so close to the -50 pound mark that I am sure it will only be a matter of days.
Now that all the boring stuff is out of the way, there has been something that I've been meaning to write about for a while now. Vitamins. Wait, what? That is borning too?

Do you take vitamins? I do and I think most people overlook them, when really they should be the most important part of your day. Here's a list of the vitamins that I currently take:

High Potency Multiple Vitamin & Mineral (vit a, vitc, vit d3, vit e, thia, ribo, niac, vit b6, folat, vit b12, biotin, calci, iron, phos, magn, zinc, copper)
Organic Flaxseed Oil + Omega-3
Sugar Free, Orange, Fiber Tablets
Prenatal Tablets (vit a, vit c, vit d, vit e, thia, ribo, niac, vit b6, folic acid, vit b12, calci, iron, zinc) {no, I am not pregnant but folic acid is very important if you plan to become pregnant. I've actually been taking these vitamins for over a year and they help with other nutrients I need too}

In the past I have taken "Women's One-A-Day, Weight Smart" and I absolutely loved those pills. They had a small amount of Guarana Seed and Green Tea and I found that (TMI alert) they kept me regular. I was advised to stop taking them while I am taking my Vitamin B12 shot though as the Guarana may interfere. Also, these pills have caffeine and I stopped drinking caffeine back in January.

At one point I was also taking Eccinachea, but stopped after I found myself still getting sick. The same goes for Vitamin C pills and Calcium. I was taking a separate pill for both and I found that between my multi-vitamin and prenatal pills that I was already getting my daily value, so I stopped taking these as well.

Basically, I am a huge proponent of daily vitamins. True, if you are eating a healthy and well balanced diet then you should be getting most of your daily vitamins and nutrients. But taking a pill will ensure that you do so it's no longer a guessing game. Also, not everyone enjoys fruits and vegetables. My husband for example, is not a fan of most fruit. By taking vitamins, he can get his daily value of Vitamin C even without eating an orange a day.

2 comments:

  1. I don't take vitamins. Probably because my mother forced me too for so many years... Hi mom!! Love ya!

    But, I have been drinking vitamin water...does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've continued the tradition of taking vitamins, but tried to cut it down to a manageable number. I may never eat oranges, but i do like orange juice, doesn't that count for something? :) But anything that normally requires eating a salad or vegetables... yeah, i'd rather take a pill for that.

    ReplyDelete