Sunday, July 10, 2011

3 miles?

Check!

I have been nervous about my run today for a while now...

- I went out of town for a week and didn't run for almost 2 weeks
- I ran 1 mile, post vacation and it was hard
- The furthest I've run in training for my half so far was 2.5 miles
- I haven't run 3 miles since back in March when I was training for my 5K

All of those things add up to a lot of doubt and nervousness about my 3 mile run on my agenda today.

I decided to run at the gym because although I was up and ready to run at 8am, it was almost 90 degrees out. Our gym has an indoor track that is 5 1/2 laps per mile so running too far can get tiresome, but since I'm still low on my mileage requirements I didn't think it would be too bad to run 16 1/2 laps.

I walked 1 1/2 laps for my warm-up then I got to work. Overall, it was kind of relaxing. It's the furthest I've ever ran on the gym track and it wasn't as bad as I expected. I had to constantly focus on what lap I was on though, so that was interesting.

When I pass my mark I repeat in my head 1, 1, 1, 1.... if I'm on the 1st lap, or 7, 7, 7, 7.... etc. I did not keep time today so I'm not sure how fast slow I ran 3 miles but I ran the whole thing.

I got a side stitch at one point, but I ran through it with no problem. Overall I felt great! I have felt high on life ever since I left the gym!

The moral of the story: don't doubt yourself, surprise yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Great job finishing those 3 miles! Very proud of you. You never know how far you can push yourself until you try. It's always nice to surprise ourselves. I have no doubt you will see this thing through with more success than you've anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am even more impressed that you did that on the gym track! wow!

    ReplyDelete