Sunday, July 17, 2011

Decide. Commit. Succeed.


I decided to run in my first half marathon.

I commited by paying my entrance fee and starting my training schedule.

Up until today I did not know if I would succeed.

I will.

I jumped over some sort of mental hurdle today during my run. Again (much like last week) I was dreading my long Sunday run and doubting myself before I even laced up my shoes.

On the agenda: 3.5 miles

For the record, 3.5 miles is the furthest distance I've ever ran in my life. 30 and 1/2 years on the earth and I've never ran that far at one time. I played basketball, and softball, and tennis in HS. I've had a gym membership since I was 15. I've worked out off and on for over half of my life but my furthest run to date was 3.1 miles.

Any run from here on out will be "my furthest run yet". I promise, I'll try to not post a blog about it every week but it will be hard not to. :)

Succeed. I ran 3.5 miles today and I felt great. I felt like I could keep running. I all-out sprinted the last 1/4 mile. I realized today that I can and will run 13.1 miles at my half marathon in December. I'm pretty confident about it too, and dare I say... excited?

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is those mental hurdles that are much harder to get past than the physical hurdles. You can and you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we are the first to believe in ourselves, but sometimes we are also the last. Very proud of you and glad you're believining in yourself. Once you believe you can do it, it gets much easier!

    ReplyDelete