Friday, November 4, 2011

Race Day Meal Plan - HELP?

I am going to ask for some help from anyone and everyone that has sound advice to give.

Race Day Meal Plan?

During my entire training, I've ran in the mornings. I get up, drink about 32 ounces of water, eat a banana and a Nature Valley Granola Bar, and I run. I never ever get cramps when I run in the morning. I now run with my camel back too to stay hydrated during my long runs.

However, if I run at night I almost always (always) get side cramps in one or both sides. I have experimented twice this week, not necessarily with what to eat, but when. I don't eat anything closer than 2 hours before I run and even then I got a slight cramp both times.

So... I need your advice. Please leave in the comments what your suggestions for race day food are. Protein, Carbs, etc.

Please note: I have never had "Gu" and don't really plan on trying it now. I don't need to eat during my race as my water keeps my energy up.

Oh ya, and the most important part!!! The Las Vegas R&R Half Marathon starts at 5:30 and by the time they get to my corral, I will probably start running close to 6:00pm.

Breakfast
- what time?

Lunch
- what time?

Pre-Race Snack
- what time?

THANK YOU!!

4 comments:

  1. Breakfast - 7 or 8am - big breakfast, whatever you like. Normal mix of carbs and protein. Waffles, Eggs, Cereal... This will be most of the energy you will use for your race, so eat a lot (but don't overeat).

    Lunch - 12 - normal size lunch, mostly carbs with some protein. A sandwich, with or without lunch meat. Probably no dairy products.

    Pre-Race Snack - between 3 & 4pm - mostly carbs, minimal protein. granola bar and a banana and a Sports Drink.

    During the Race - If you're wearing your camelbak, bring a granola bar or some m&m's in case you need a pick-me-up. Otherwise, just drink the water in your Camelbak and occasionally grab a sports drink at a few of the water stations to keep your electrolytes up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never run a race in the evening. So I have no suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normal breakfast, but maybe more protein than normal to help keep you full. Eggs...peanut butter....maybe not together, just throwing things out there.

    Normal lunch - but maybe stay away from spicy foods and stick with fairly bland past or rice?

    Now personally, I have to have more than two hours between eating and running. On a normal basis, I would not eat anything after lunch and before a run a 5:30. If I had a large-ish breakfast and a normal size lunch then I wouldn't eat anything else. This is because I know I have a sensitive stomach and mine runs better when it is mostly empty.

    Also, I would stick with water after lunch, because sometimes sports drinks have more sodium and carbs than I would want before a race.

    But like I said, I am mostly an empty stomach runner. When I run in the morning, I hardly ever eat or drink anything before my run. Even my last race, only water after I got up. So between dinner the night before and my race, I had 14 hours since I had last eaten.

    i suppose I could have run a little better with something in my stomach, but sometimes my nerves make it really hard for me to digest anything I put in there before a race. And I have run 15 mile training runs in the am, on an empty stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always run on an empty stomach. Running in the morning, I wouldn't have eaten since dinner the night before, which was often 12 hours ago. Don't know about running in the evening, but I would think I would do the same, not much after breakfast personally, maybe some fruit for lunch. Water, but not too much of that either. I don't want to be bogged down with a lot of anything in my stomach that would make me feel heavy.

    ReplyDelete