Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Butter

Since my pumpkin cheesecake recipe only called for 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, I had to figure out what to do with what was left of my 29 ounce can of pumpkin puree... Pumpkin Butter. I found this recipe also on Gina's Skinny Recipes and couldn't wait to make it.


I had most of the can left but this recipe calls for a full can, so I ended up buying a small can (15 ounces). The recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups of puree but it ended up being about 4 cups. I plan to use this on toast, bagels (I have some 1 point cinnamon bagels), waffles, etc. Should keep us in the fall spirit for a while.


Pumpkin Butter
Gina's Skinny Recipes 
Servings: 14 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Points: 1.5 ptsCalories: 88.2 • Fat: 0.3 g • Protein: 1.0 g • Carb: 27.3 g • Fiber: 2.5 g   

  • 3 1/2 cups pumpkin puree, or 1 (29 ounce) can (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2-3 cinnamon sticks
  • 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (to taste)
Combine pureed pumpkin, vanilla, apple juice, spices, cinnamon sticks and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently. Adjust spices to your taste. 




2 comments:

  1. Humm....I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty good, I must say. I got a little daring and put some on a tortilla this weekend. Wasn't bad. Was interesting - different. :) I need to use some on a bagel instead - which makes more sense anyway...

    ReplyDelete