Wednesday, February 9, 2011

5K

This time last year I was very pregnant and very jealous of my sister and husband. You see, we all made a commitment to get healthy in the beginning of 2009 and we all 3 started exercising like maniacs a lot. I was just starting to get into a running groove when I found out I was pregnant in late 2009. I ran some here and there after I got pregnant but I mostly stuck with my prenatal aerobics classes. Something never quite felt right about jiggling the baby around in there. Even though I know for a fact a lot of women run while pregnant (heck I know someone who ran a 5K when she was 4.5 months pregnant) since I was a very novice runner it just wasn't something I was comfortable with.


Fast forward to March 2010 and I accompanied my sister and husband to their 5K; I was 7 months pregnant, carrying my folding chair over my shoulder along with camera's, waters, running clothes, etc. Helping them pin on their numbers and promising to be the loudest spectator at the finish line cheering them on. 


I was supposed to be running with them, but of course I was also carrying the little miracle that we'd been praying for. So it was then and there, as I bawled my eyes out with pride watching my husband barrel down the shoot for the the finish and my sister smile and run by me to finish her first ever 5K, that I decided that I would run in the race in 2011.


So, I've paid my way, signed the electronic waiver, and committed to run in my very first 5K. Of course, I've had some bumps along the road that I am trying to overcome (I had an accident that is requiring physical therapy but I am getting better), but I fully intend to stick it out and run this race with a bang. 


My first day of training started out with me being over confident that I could run 3.1 miles with no problem. I was convinced that since I had been running 3 miles before I got pregnant that I could just pick up where I left off. Completely forgetting the fact that had been a year and a half earlier. I ended up running out of steam and narrowly missing an asthma attack just short of 1 mile. On to Plan B. 


I jumped on the C25K bandwagon and so far so good. I had to cut some training days out to ensure I was running the full program before Race Day, but I haven't missed a training run yet. I am using an application on my phone that allows me to listen to my own music while a guy's voice cuts in to say "RUN!" "Now, walk." "You're halfway done, turn around" "Approaching your final run". I'm really enjoying the application and I have no doubts that I will be ready in time for the race in March.


Stay tuned! 

2 comments:

  1. You will be ready. Look at all you have accomplished so far! You will do this too and it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck on training. My first 5K seems like years ago, but I can't wait to do another one. Just remember it's not about the time you get but that you finish! You will do great, of course!

    ReplyDelete