Monday, November 15, 2010

11/12/10 Weigh In

I weighed in 4 days ago and it's taken me just as long to formulate my thoughts for this post. It's still going to be all over the place, so bear with me. 


My weigh in was good and bad. I am so conflicted and I have such mixed emotions on the subject that I really can't tell you if I'm happy or not?


I lost 3.4 pounds and I hit my 10% goal, which means I got my awesome silver "10% keyring".


You're probably asking yourself why in the world isn't she happy then? Well, I also lost 3.0 the week before too. Apparently Weight Watchers works for me. But, does it work for my daughter? 


I'm still scared terrified of losing weight too fast and my breast milk supply being affected. A year and a half ago I was losing 2, 3, 4, sometimes 5 pounds a week... I couldn't get the weight off fast enough. Now, when I'm trying (like REALLY trying) to lose weight slowly, I've suddenly lost 21.6 pounds in 10 weeks. I feel INSANE for complaining about this. This is not the Brandi that has struggled for years to get the weight off only to finally succeed and then complain about it?


I'll tell you why, a year and a half ago, I wasn't a mother. I didn't have a baby to feed, whose sole source of nutrition for the first 6 months of her life have come from me and most of her nutrition will still come from me for at least the next 6 months too. Lord willing. I'm not saying I've noticed a drop in supply by any means, but it's always on my mind. 


I was so upset by my weigh in that I semi didn't count my dinner points on Saturday night. I tracked all day and I knew what I had left but I ordered a subway sandwich (with cheese!!!!!) and a bag of chips (Doritos!!!!!!!!!) and a soda (sprite!!!!!!!!) for dinner on Saturday night. I knew how much points everything was and I dipped into my extra 35 "weekly points" which I hardly ever do. So I've decided that I'm going to start using some of those from now on and see if that can slow down my weight loss. 


My brain is so messed up... I mean who loses 80 pounds then gets pregnant? It's hard. I've seen a couple interviews from previous contestants on Biggest Loser, who lost a ton of weight then got pregnant within the year. You work SO hard to lose weight then you're ecstatic to be expecting but your brain must now wrap itself around gaining weight back, then trying to lose it again after the baby comes, plus any extra you need to make it to your goal weight. 


You're probably also saying to yourself, why are you trying to lose weight now then? Why not wait until after you wean the baby from the breast? Good question. Here's why: I need to feel good in my own skin. I was done wearing maternity clothes when I was carrying around a 4 month old. Now, she's almost 6 months and I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in YEARS. I had a taste of feeling fit and thin last year and it was very short lived. Now, I'm getting that taste again and then some, and it feels right. And I'm happy.


I truly feel like an idiot for posting this blog and complaining about it all, I just hope you understand where I'm coming from. Any advice is greatly appreciated too...

4 comments:

  1. You definitely do not sound like an idiot, and I still say good for you!!

    Is your baby gaining? Is she on solids as well? Does she nurse and seem satisfied or is she hungry for more? If she's gaining and satisfied, I'd say you're doing fine. If you don't notice a supply problem, my guess would be you don't have one. "Normal" women (whatever that means!), who don't have weight issues, lose their baby weight after the baby, some very easily. My guess is that's what your body is doing.

    Watch your body for signs about your milk and watch your baby. If you feel like there's trouble, adjust, but if not, I'd go for it.

    Good luck. I nursed two of mine for 18 months. I truly understand how important this is to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's got plenty of wet and poopy diapers, weighs almost 17 pounds (75th %tile) and nurses 7-8 times a day, no solids yet. I know she's fine and you're right! I keep forgetting that if I see signs I can simply adjust. It's not like i'l wake up one day and my milk be gone. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great. We didn't start solids with my kids at that point either. I'm glad things are going so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that as long as the baby is fine, then no worries! And breastfeeding burns calories too, so don't freak out too much, and relax.

    And....I was competing in track and CC and still breastfeeding...It is there as long as you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete